Sofia Storage provides quality packing equipment and supplies for all customers:
- Correctly packing your treasures for storage either at home or in self storage is an important step in assuring they remain safe while in storage, any current or future transport or while being rearranged. Packing is a science, the purpose of which is to limit the chances of damage and/or breakage to your valuables by providing effective buffers.
- Boxes and Plastic Storage Bins provide the first level of defense against breakage. They also make storing, stacking, locating and rearranging items in storage much easier. If you fully pack boxes and bins, they will help minimize the amount of storage space you will need. Some min-storage warehouses are also very dusty and boxing items will help keep them clean. Steel self storage buildings are also subject to dampness and mold. Plastic bins may help in this case.
- What size box/bin? Small heavy items such as books or bronzes, should go in small boxes or bins. Bulkier but lighter items would go into larger boxes or bins. The largest boxes would be used for very bulky but lightweight articles such as blankets, pillows , toys and large lamp shades. Shoe boxes and other containers of this size should be consolidated in larger boxes. Toys and other non- breakables can usually be stored in boxes or plastic bins without wrapping or Styrofoam pellets. Storage Centers will not allow you to store flammable liquids or gasses in their facility and generally such storage is illegal. Other restrictions may also apply.
- Always choose the right box or bin for the items you are storing. Pack so that boxes and bins are full but not overly heavy or they may break. Storage Centers can help you with this process even if you are going to store the items at home. Storage Centers have ample supplies of Wardrobe Boxes, Art/Mirror Boxes, Dish Boxes, Book and Records Storage Boxes, and many other specialty boxes and storage/moving supplies.
- Tissue paper, newspaper, bubble wrap and styrofoam all provide good secondary levels of protection for any breakables. But remember, careful packing and handling is always a necessity. Dishes should be individually wrapped.
- Make sure the bottoms of all boxes are sealed with a heavy duty tape.
- Mirrors and art work should be stored standing up. Books should be placed in small boxes (due to their weight) flat on their sides to avoid damaging their bindings. Lampshades should be removed, wrapped and stored separately from lamps. Quality storage centers such as Sofia can customize racks and shelving for your storage unit and even pack your room to assure optimal use of space.
- If you have packing or storage questions, stop in and see one of our storage specialists at 475 Amsterdam Ave (at 83rd Street) or call Sofia Storage Centers at 212 873-3600.